2 T butter, salted or unsalted
2 T flour
1 cup chilled milk
¼ t black pepper powder or add as required
1 pinch nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg
Salt as required
- Heat a saucepan. Keep the flame to a low and add 2 tablespoons butter.
- When melted add flour
- Whisk flour and butter to stop lumps forming.
- Stir frequently and cook until flour gives off a cooked aroma and is a pale golden colour.
- Keeping the heat low pour in 1 cup chilled milk in a gentle stream whilst stirring the sauce mixture.
- Continue stirring the sauce until the milk heats up and simmer until it thickens.
- Turn off the heat then add the seasonings. For a cheese sauce, add 2 tablespoons of grated cheddar cheese.
- Works with chicken, broccoli or asparagus